SSSC host the Regional Powerboat Showdown !
Young powerboaters from across the region are revving their engines ready to compete for the 2012 West Midlands Honda RYA Youth RIB Championship title at South Staffordshire Sailing Club this Saturday (12 May).
The Honda RYA Youth RIB Championship is Britain's leading programme introducing kids to powerboats and training them to be safe, proficient drivers and excellent boat handlers. The West Midlands' championship is one of 14 regional finals taking place nationwide in the coming months with drivers in two age-groups - 8-12 and 13-16 - vying to win a place at the national grand final at the PSP Southampton Boat Show in September.
RIBs (Rigid Inflatable Boats) are light, manoeuvrable craft and the boats driven in the Honda RYA Youth RIB Championship can hit speeds of up to 25mph. The youngsters compete in time trials around sets of marks with the driver with the fastest time in each age-group qualifying for the national final where the overall national champion in each age-group will win a Honwave T40 RIB with a Honda BF20 engine or a 4.8m Ribcraft RIB with a Honda BF60 engine for their club.
Andrew Norton, Honda RYA Youth RIB event director, explains: "With the emphasis on swift, efficient and safe manoeuvring, the skills the youngsters develop through the Honda RYA Youth RIB programme are not only a great chance for them to experience the thrill of racing a small powerboat but are also invaluable in supporting sailing clubs in running all the activities they want to get more people out on the water more often.
"Safe, proficient powerboat drivers are needed to provide on the water safety and support whenever clubs run learn to sail courses or racing events, which they all do frequently. The best support boat drivers can also get amazing opportunities to provide safety cover and perform officiating duties at top international sailing events all over the world. The talents of the majority of the support boat crews for the 2012 Olympic sailing regatta at Weymouth and Portland were honed in Britain's sailing clubs."
Now in its 11th year, this year's national Honda RYA Youth RIB Championship Final will be held on Sunday 16 September at the Southampton Boat Show.
David Hodgkinson, Marketing Communications Manager for event sponsor Honda said: "As a major manufacturer of engines and inflatables, Honda is delighted to be sponsoring the 11th year of the Honda RYA Youth RIB Championship. Inspiring and encouraging young people to discover and pursue a passion for boating, is as important as giving them the skills to do so in a safe and responsible way. We are proud together with the RYA to be doing both through this unique competition".
For more information about the Honda RYA Youth RIB Championship visit www.rya.org.uk/go/hondayouthrib
About Honda RYA Youth RIB Championship
• Started in 2002, the Championship allows youngsters aged 8-16 to demonstrate their skills as expert boat handlers and improve their skills in a safe, controlled environment, with each competitor aiming to manoeuvre around a pre-set course in the quickest time. To ensure safety at all times each child is accompanied in the RIB by a competent adult/instructor.
• There are fourteen regional finals across the whole of the UK and overseas. Winners from both the 8-12 and 13-16 age groups go on to represent their region at the National Final.
About the RYA
• The RYA is the national body for all forms of recreational, competitive and professional boating. It represents dinghy and yacht racing, motor and sail cruising, RIBs and sportsboats, powerboat racing, windsurfing, inland cruising and personal watercraft.
• The RYA is recognised by all government offices as being the negotiating body for the activities it represents. It continually fights for the rights and freedoms of its 102,000 personal members, the majority of whom choose to go afloat for purely recreational non-competitive pleasure on coastal and inland waters. There are an estimated further 500,000 boat owners nationally who are members of RYA affiliated clubs and class associations.
• The RYA also sets and maintains a recognised standard for recreational boat training through a network of 2,340 RYA Recognised Training Centres in over 45 countries. On average 180,000 people per year complete RYA training courses.
• The RYA is committed to promoting all forms of boating and making them accessible to everyone. For more information please refer to our web site www.rya.org.uk
• RYA Sailability is the leading UK charity for disabled sailing and is the official charity of the RYA. Registered Charity Number: 1084351
• You can find the RYA at RYA House, Ensign Way, Hamble, Southampton, SO31 4YA
About Honda Marine
• Honda is a leading manufacturer of 4-stroke marine outboards and inflatables, with a wide range from the compact BF2.3 through to the powerful BF225 model. Honda offers a six year warranty on its entire outboard range to domestic private users, as well as a two year warranty for professional and commercial users. For more information on Honda's range of outboards and inflatables please visit www.honda.co.uk/marine.
• Ribcraft was founded in 1988 and has since gained an enviable reputation as the leading British builder of reliable and superbly manufactured Rigid Inflatable Boats (Ribs).
• Ribcraft is one of the only British manufacturers to design and construct the entire boat ‘in-house' at its purpose built factory in Yeovil, Somerset. Each craft is built from the GRP hull, inflatable collar and stainless steel fittings to the electrical and engine installations. This ensures each rib is built to the highest standard, with great emphasis placed on the safety, durability and quality of construction.
• Ribcraft manufacture hull sizes from 4.2 to 18.0 metres, for commercial or leisure use. The company is keen to accommodate individual requirements and has a flexible approach when dealing with its diverse range of customers from leisure craft to factory ships, divers and military and commercial buyers.
• Each Rib is a unique project, and it's up to the customer to decide on how the boat will look with regard to colours, layouts and power options. This exercise is made simple by Ribcraft's dedicated team, who have a wealth of experience in using and constructing rigid inflatables and will assist customers with choosing the right boat for their specific requirements.
• Ribcraft are pleased to continue our support of the Honda RYA youth championship, we started our association with the Championship in 2006 and have so far donated 10 boats to the winning sailing clubs.
Andy Felthouse - 10th May 2012